It’s a warmer than usual sunny day in August. The farmers markets are filled with locally picked berries. And so are all the supermarkets and produce stores. All the recipes for muffins, loaves and desserts look so inviting but….it’s a warmer than usual sunny day in August. Let’s serve the berries as naked as possible and enjoy them. I served them in small preserving jars with a couple tablespoons of a mint-infused sugar syrup, and a sprig of fresh mint on top. Brought them to the patio table with the lids on tight, shook the jars to coat the berries in the syrup and enjoyed eating my simple dessert outside….with friends and family…on a warmer than usual sunny day in August.
Mint-infused Sugar Syrup
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 loosely packed bunch of mint leaves
- Mix the sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Turn off the heat, add the mint leaves and let steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain through a fine sieve and keep in fridge.
- A couple tablespoons to a 1/2 cup of berries is all that is necessary to enhance the fruit.